Upon entering this class I didn’t quite understand the need or use for it. I understood the need for more teachers all around and I didn’t really look into the specific need of ESL classes. From my previous studies I’ve learned everything from, teaching a class with varying knowledge levels to teaching special populations. It wasn’t until I began my studies in this Second language methodology class that I saw a whole new world around me. Since the very first lesson in this class I’ve learned and have grown in places I didn’t think I needed to as a future educator, I’ve gained valuable lessons and strategies from my studies and also my fellow classmates. I feel secure in my knowledge of English Language Learners, the different cultures, strategies, and how they learn to adapt to another language has increased tremendously, and has even helped me in my own future classroom endeavors to better understand my future ELL students.
There were a lot of different pieces of information I learned in this class. I developed a newfound confidence in my teaching and my journey to becoming fluent in a second language. Seeing how important and how much I can change the life of your students I feel that EVERYONE who has a passion to become an educator should look into becoming fluent in another language. Personally I feel that teaching , learning , and knowing another language helps you tremendously in every aspect of your professional practice. One of the most important things I learned was the importance of a student teacher relationship, and understanding each culture of every single one of your students and how to thrive within certain situations. Understanding different cultures and the home life of my students helps when you are trying to figure out how to best educate that student and much their surrounding can affect their learning.
This class is important, to aspiring teachers to and anyone who wants to work with people in the matter. I feel that being ESL certified can give me a good foundation of knowledge about how to best help my ELL students learn and help educate others around me on an everyday basis. Unfortunately I do not anticipate into immediately entering the teaching field, but I do plan on working in sports management and administration positions. I am 100% positive that knowing another language and learning how to put it to use will help me tenfold when I am working with students and student-athletes around the world. Therefore I feel that anyone and everyone looking to partake in a professional position should learn another language or become ELL certified.
As for the aspects of the class, I feel that there is a lot of information that goes untold , and is deemed “prior knowledge”. Unfortunately a lot of things fall through the cracks and as a student I don’t tend to notice what you as a teacher actually want from me until I receive feedback after a grade has been finalized. The chapters of the book can be quite long and while reading its hard to pinpoint what is important and what really is just words. The rubrics help a lot , but unfortunately the feeling of having to teach ourselves is something you cant really avoid in an online class. I feel that the bog postings are overly complicated for no reason, if there was a turn it in link or something we can secure we could avoid the whole “who posted on whose post”. I feel that if we were given some sort of reading guide with key terms, or even a study guide of some type (especially on the observation paper) It would’ve helped me not only understand the assignment better , but also help me understand the meaning and what I should get out of it.
This course has impacted my teaching philosophy by helping me widen my eyes on a somewhat less talked about subject . I now add I’m my philosophy on how important it is to not only communicate with your students but to mean what you say , if that means talking backwards, sideways, or even in a different language I will do whatever it takes for my students to succeed. I understand my role and new found philosophy and will work to the best of my abilities to ensure an amazing learning environment for all involved.
Hey Kaila!
ReplyDeleteThere were many relatable elements in your post that I truly agreed with. First was learning a second language. I have been attempting to learn Spanish because it is one of the most commonly spoken languages in the United States and that would be beneficial for students. I think it would make students feel more understood and aid in the language acquisition process. I also agree with the lack of direction or necessary topics that should be studied for exams. After covering four chapters of material it is difficult to discern what we should study for the exam.
Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed my final blog (finally!) I completely agree with you on the how learning more languages will help the students , not only the ELL students but also the english speaking students , introducing them to a new culture is one of the many things we get to do as teachers in preperation for the world beyond school. Yes, I felt that even though the class was full of good information it was EVERYWHERE, I felt stress with the amount I had to study without being able to pinpoint one thing. I also found it weird some of the questions on the past test, with having to watch and hour thirty min plus video when we only have 1 hour and 30 min to complete the entire test. Wishing you the best Nadia!
ReplyDeleteHello Kaila,
ReplyDeleteWell said! I'm glad you were able to gain something from this class. Being a former ELL myself, I would like to know that there are people out there that actually care about teaching ESL and for the students' achievements as well. It is great that you noted that you as an educator it is important to have a good relationship with your students. As Wright (2015) stated, “Knowing a student’s ethnicity and country of origin, for example, allows the teacher to incorporate appropriate multicultural education strategies and techniques into the curriculum” (p. 17). This in the long run would both help the teacher and student, create a harmonious classroom filled with learning and growth.
Thank you for reading! i agree with the wright quote "Knowing a student’s ethnicity and country of origin, for example, allows the teacher to incorporate appropriate multicultural education strategies and techniques into the curriculum” (p. 17)" I feel that as a future teacher we have so much more duties than just to teach, and learning who , where , and why your student learns and acts the way they do is a big part of it. I truly enjoy getting to know that I am getting approval from a ELL on my ideas, it helps me know that I am heading in the right direction as a future ELL teacher.
DeleteHey Kaila,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your reflection with us! I agree with the fact that this class truly showed me a new understanding of ELLs and as a teacher what I can do to help them succeed. In this class I learned about the different strategies I can use in my future classroom to help my ELLs. Also how as a teacher you have to understand each students home lives and cultures. According to Wright, “Effective teachers recognize and value vast store of knowledge students have in their first language and provides instructions to draw on the knowledge” (pg.55). Every student will come from different backgrounds and cultures and it is our job to put in the effort to understand each and every students home culture.
Hi Emily!
DeleteThank you for reading! I agree with you and the connection between student and teacher. one another post and in the wright book I came across this quote "Knowing a student’s ethnicity and country of origin, for example, allows the teacher to incorporate appropriate multicultural education strategies and techniques into the curriculum” (p. 17)" I feel that as a future teacher we have so much more duties than just to teach, and learning who , where , and why your student learns and acts the way they do is a big part of it. I truly enjoy getting to know that I am getting approval from a ELL on my ideas, it helps me know that I am heading in the right direction as a future ELL teacher. I wish you the best in your future!
The United States consist of beautiful cultures, languages and people. Embracing that by becoming knowledgeable of your students’ backgrounds helps build student-teacher relationships. I believe that when a student feels that you are accepting them and their culture and not trying to remove it; then they are capable of learning English more efficiently. The instructional goal for ESL is to help English language learners increase their English proficiency each year and become fluent in English (Wright, 2015, p. 106). I don’t think instruction that focuses on removing one language in order to improve another is beneficial at all. In my opinion, the goal of teachers is to educate and develop well rounded students. In order to do this you have to be able to connect with your students. One way to do that is by becoming familiar with your students cultural background and relating it to English language learning. As you stated not knowing students home life and understanding their culture can affect their learning.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.).Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.